MEDAL OF HONOR Recipients
John Breckenridge BABCOCK received the Congressional Medal of Honor on 18 September 1897 for his actions 28 years earlier while a First Lieutenant in the 5th U.S. Cavalry, at Spring Creek, Nebraska, 16 May 1869: While serving with a scouting column, this officer’s troop was attacked by a vastly superior force of Indians. Advancing to high ground, he dismounted his men, remaining mounted himself to encourage them, and there fought the Indians until relieved, his horse being wounded. He was born in New Orleans, LA on 7 Feb 1843 and entered service at Stonington, Connecticut. In 1880, he was a Captain, stationed in Sioux County, Nebraska, married, but without his family. He retired as a General. His lineage beginning with his father is: (…, Giles, Paul, Henry, Joshua, Capt. James, John, James).
William J. BABCOCK received the Congressional Medal of Honor on 2 March 1895 for his actions 30 years earlier while a Sergeant, Company E, 2d Rhode Island Infantry, at Petersburg, VA, 2 April 1865: He planted the flag upon the parapet while the enemy still occupied the line; was the first of his regiment to enter the works. He was born in Griswold, Connecticut 8 Apr 1841 and entered service at South Kingston, R.I. In 1870 he was a fisherman living in South Kingston, RI with his wife born 1845, and their infant child, William, born Jul 1870. He has a pension file at the Archives. He filed for disability on 26 Apr 1886. He died 29 Oct 1897 and his widow, Phebe, filed for her pension 8 Nov 1897. A pension application dated 20 Feb 1901 is in his file for a minor, Carrie E. BABCOCK. His lineage beginning with his father is: (…, Gideon, John, Gideon J, John, Job, John, James).
Thanks to Bruce, Justin, and Allan BABCOCK for discovering these two heroes.
Babcock and Wilcox
George Herman Babcock, the co-founder of Babcock and Wilcox was the son of a well-known inventor and mechanic of his time, Asher Miner Babcock, the designer of the “pin-wheel motion” in plaid looms, of a novel shoe-peg machine, and of many other ingenious and successful mechanisms. His mother was also of a line of mechanics, her father having been distinguished as a constructor of ordnance for the Government in the War of 1812 and her uncle being a well-known manufacturer of locks and clocks. The key to success of the Babcock and Wilcox firm was their patented invention of “sectional” boilers that prevented explosions, all too common until then. He met Stephen Wilcox many years earlier in Westerly Rhode Island. George Herman Babcock had four wives but only one surviving son, George Luason Babcock, who was modestly successful in politics and business. George L. Babcock had a daughter and a son George Herman II. George H. Babcock II had the following ancestral lineage: (…, George L., George Herman, Asher Miner, Ezra, Oliver, John, James).
The Babcock Milk Test
Stephen Moulton Babcock studied in several of the universities of America, and in 1879 received the degree of Ph. D. from the University of Goettingen, Germany. He did most of his most important work at the Wisconsin Agricultural Station 1888-1913. He is best known for his test for butterfat in milk (1890) which bears his name. In 1895 he announced a method by which casein can be mechanically separated from the other constituents of milk. He helped develop a process of cold curing cheese (1900) and his experiments led to studies that developed the vitamin concept. He is known as the “father of Scientific dairying.” In recognition of his services in inventing the Babcock Milk Test the State of Wisconsin in 1901, through its Governor and Legislators, presented him with “the largest bronze medal ever struck in England.” Stephen M. Babcock had the following ancestral lineage: (…, Peleg Brown, Oliver, Joshua, Oliver, James, Capt. James, John, James). He was a third cousin, once removed, of Addie Roper and second cousin once removed of Stephen Babcock.
Elisha Babcock (Hotel del Coronado)
Elisha Spurr Babcock, Jr. moved from Evansville, Indiana to San Diego, California in 1884 for rest and recuperation from tuberculosis. He and another prosperous businessman, Hampton L. Story, purchased San Diego Peninsula, nearly 4200 acres, for $110,000. They advertised and sold lots to raise $2.2 million and build the grand Hotel del Coronado. They broke ground in 1887 and opened in 1888. See the following links for more web-based information on Elisha Babcock and Hotel del Coronado: